Here is the compiled list of some of the odd but interesting facts I stumbled upon.
Interesting Facts – Animals / Birds
- Birds don’t urinate ever.
- A flock of crows is called as a ‘Murder’
- An ostrich’s brain is smaller as compared to its eye.
- Most of the elephants weigh less than the tongue of the blue whale.
- All the mammals can jump except the elephant
- Cows don’t have front upper teeth, so they can’t bite you.
- Most of the hummingbirds weigh less than a penny.
- Dolphins keep one of the eyes open while sleeping.
- A giraffe can go without water longer than a camel. Camel can go around 15 days but a giraffe can go without water for 3 weeks. Ever wondered who can go for longest without water? Its Kangaroo Rat, it can live without drinking water at all.
- On average, giraffes have 21-inch long tongue. The use tongue to clean their ears.
- Octopuses lays around 60,000 to 100,000 eggs at a time. But the survival rate is only 1%.
Interesting Facts – Insects
- Moths are unable to fly during earthquakes.
- About 80% of the Earth’s animals are insects!
- Male mosquitoes don’t bite. Only females do. They even bite more during full moon.
- A single honey takes 2 million visits to flowers to produce a one pound of honey.
Interesting Facts – Miscellaneous
- The sum of opposite sides of a dice cube is always seven.
- ‘Q’ is the only letter that doesn’t appear in any U.S. state name. It has ‘X’ in Texas, ‘Z’ in Arizona but it doesn’t have a ‘Q’ in any of the state name.
- John D. Rockefeller is the richest man in the history of world, when adjusted for inflation.
- Until 1991, Russia considered beer as a soft drink and not as an alcohol.
- Ear and nose, are the only body parts that don’t stop growing. Eyes are the only part that doesn’t grow in size after birth.
- Suppressing a sneeze by blocking your nostrils, can rupture your blood vessels in head or neck. You can even die due to this rupture.
- Humans are approximately 1% shorter in evening as compared to morning.
- The official name of # is not hash or pound, its octothorpe.
- A “jiffy” is a scientific name. It stands for 1/100th of a second.
- In 1965, a patent was granted for apparatus for facilitating the child birth by centrifugal force. The apparatus would spin pregnant women around at around 7G until their baby comes out due to the centrifugal force
- Without the added colors, Coca-Cola would be green.
- Chewing gum while cutting onions will stop the tears.
- On average, normal mattress doubles its weight in around 10 years. This is due to accumulation of dust, mites and their poop.
- Donald duck comics were banned in Finland as the character doesn’t wear pants.
- The Spanish translation of word “Colgate” is “go hang yourself”.
- In Japan, if sumo wrestler makes your baby cry then its considered good luck.
Interesting Facts – Nature
- Pure honey never spoils.
- Blueberries don’t ripen until they are picked.
- It is impossible to kill yourself by holding your breath.
- It rains diamonds on Jupiter as well as Saturn. So are you thinking about moving or visiting at-least one of them?
- The total length of blood vessels in the human body is around 100,000 kilometers(60,000 miles) approximately.
- A rainbow forms only in the morning or late afternoon. It can occur only when the sun is 40 degrees or less above the horizon.